Throughout the whole period of pregnancy a woman, if the baby is long-awaited, is in an amazing state. However, this is not to say that the future happy mommy is incredibly easy at this time, because there are its own difficulties and important moments. All this fully applies to the small, but very important term at 9 weeks of pregnancy.
The processes of fetal development are incredibly fast, which cannot but affect the mood, appearance and well-being of the pregnant woman. We will talk about some important points that relate to this term in more detail right now.
Ninth week of pregnancy: how the baby is developing
The 9th week of pregnancy from conception is an incredibly important period in a baby’s development. Now the fetus can quite officially and legally be called a fetus. The development of the fetus is very rapid, and especially the active recruitment of muscle mass is taking place.
It is also during this period that the first conscious movements begin inside the amniotic sac, and the fetus does these “dances”. The future baby reacts to all the stimuli that surround it, even those that occur outside the mother’s body. However, these active movements are not yet perceptible to the woman, but they are bound to happen, you just have to wait.
The fetus looks more and more like a small human figure, although some irregularity in proportions still remains. Regarding the internal development of the fetus, the following important points are worth noting:
- One of the main processes is the continuation of active brain development. The outlines of the hemispheres become clearer, and the cerebellum starts to work, which manifests itself in clearer coordination of limb movements;
- A clear system of blood vessels appears, and the heart has almost completed its formation. The heart rate is about 120-150 beats per minute. Blood flow is more intense in the upper part of the fetal body, which becomes noticeable by the greater development of the upper limbs compared to the lower limbs;
- The facial features become increasingly clear – this is the result of the continued formation of the facial bones. The formation of the eyeballs, which remain tightly covered by the eyelids, is completed;
- The fetus has a rounded abdomen, indicating the active development of internal organs, including the digestive and liver organs;
- At this term, the development of hormones in the fetal body begins. Adrenaline is one of the first to form. All (almost all) processes concerning hormone formation at this stage depend on the work of the adrenal glands.
Embryo size at 9 weeks of pregnancy
The size of the fetus at 9 weeks of pregnancy (at the beginning) is 35-40 mm, which can be compared to the length of a large strawberry. The fetus still surrounds the amniotic egg, which is also growing, providing enough room for the baby to grow.
Regarding fetal weight, it is also actively growing – from 2.5-4 grams at the beginning of the week the figure will increase to an average of 10 grams at the end of the week.
The 9th week of pregnancy: pregnancy symptoms
People around you may not even notice that the woman is already nine weeks pregnant, because there is no obvious sign of a rounded belly. But the most intuitive or attentive to the woman’s condition will probably notice that certain changes in her body, health and mood have occurred.
The most obvious change with the body of a pregnant woman is a change in the condition and size of her breasts, which may have grown by 1-2 sizes, occasionally sore and “decorated” with stretch marks. Often there is a rapid change in weight gain, which may be due to an increased appetite. Overweight is not threatened by those who experience such a problem as toxicosis, because food, even at its mention, literally makes you sick.
The obvious changes can also include the condition of the skin. Most often pregnant women suffer from all sorts of rashes, which, however, may not be a companion to her pregnant status. Those women who suffer from hormonal shifts may notice the appearance of excessive pigmentation.
If a woman had some digestive problems before pregnancy, they can remind you of themselves with exacerbations. Often during this period expectant mothers complain about bloating, frequent constipation or diarrhea. Also, there may be a very obvious desire to eat something completely indigestible, but such quirks of pregnant women should be ignored.
Due to the fact that a woman’s entire body is working at its limit, the following symptoms are quite often observed:
- Increased and sometimes painful sensitivity to smells;
- Rapid fatigue, even from tasks that do not require excessive physical effort;
- Sleepiness during the day with insomnia at night;
- Headache, which sometimes comes in fits and starts;
- Mood swings and emotional state in general – aggressiveness and irritability can “coexist” with sentimentality and merriment for no reason.
As a rule, painful symptoms are very rare during this period. Tolerable and infrequent pulling pains in the lower abdomen or lower back are considered quite acceptable. However, the woman and her close environment (husband or partner, relatives) should understand that under certain circumstances pain is quite a threatening signal. Any deviation from the norm can be considered sufficient reason to make an appointment for an ultrasound in the 9th week of pregnancy.
To the above symptoms should certainly be added frequent urination, which gives a pregnant woman a lot of trouble. Some women manage to “tame” this symptom by more demanding regulation of the amount of fluid consumed.
Ultrasound at 9 weeks of pregnancy
As a rule, it is recommended to go to the hospital sometime during this term, and already the doctor will prescribe an ultrasound scan to establish some factors – for example, the number of fetuses. Ultrasound at 9 weeks of pregnancy still will not show clear features of the baby, because its size is still small. However, a woman will be able to see if it is developing normally and hear her baby’s heartbeat recorded.
Ninth week of pregnancy: what to discuss with your doctor
The 9th week of pregnancy is a significant enough time for an expectant mother to start thinking that she already knows everything about her condition. However, such an opinion should be considered a delusion, because there are still many points that should be discussed with the doctor. More specifically, the following should be considered topics of discussion:
- An acute desire to eat a lot or to eat something inedible. A woman should not consider this detail unimportant to alarm a specialist, because this is not the norm, but indicates a lack of some vitamins or other nutrients. It is relatively easy to solve this problem – the doctor will do some tests if necessary, and then prescribe vitamins or advise a special diet;
- Atypical vaginal discharge – this, too, should be discussed with your doctor. The body of a pregnant woman becomes very susceptible to all kinds of infections, the genitourinary system is no exception. If there is a suspicion of an infectious disease, you should be examined and follow the recommendations of your doctor;
- Exercise during pregnancy. If there are complications, this point should be discussed in great detail with your doctor, because the slightest increase in the permissible loads can have very unfortunate consequences;
- Another important question to check with your doctor is what the schedule of visits for examinations will be. The frequency is usually determined by the doctor based on a number of indications. For example, women with poor health see the doctor more often than women with a normal pregnancy.
Week 9 of pregnancy: tips
At 9 weeks of pregnancy, there are still many prohibitions and recommendations from doctors, as well as loved ones. However, you should not think that the future mother is not allowed to do much, because this period of life has its own charms.
To pregnancy proceeds normally and as comfortably as possible, it is worth adhering to very simple tips:
- Do not limit yourself to sex (provided the pregnancy is normal), because intimacy has a beneficial effect on a woman’s health. Doctors note an improvement in circulation and psycho-emotional well-being;
- Get outdoors more, and remember, shopping doesn’t count as walking. It is worth going to places with the least air pollution. It is better to go to the country house, to the woods or special park areas, if there is such a possibility;
- If there are no contraindications, it is worth exercising (we mean gymnastics or fitness for pregnant women). For this purpose it is not always necessary to attend special training sessions or classes, there are many available courses with which you can do all this at home;
- Eating right is the basis for your normal well-being and stable good development of your baby. It has long been necessary to eliminate all harmful foods and dishes from your diet, and switch to a healthy and nutritious. It is not recommended to follow a special diet in most cases, but a reasonable number of portions and frequent meals is still worth sticking to;
- If you feel some emotional pressure during this period, it is worth discussing it with someone. It is not always necessary to go to a doctor, sometimes the problem can be solved by a warm conversation with people close to you. Especially a pregnant woman at this point in her life needs intimacy with her partner and the father of the child – something men should take note of;
- It is equally important to feel comfortable physically. If you do not take into account the symptoms of pregnancy, which still accompanies a woman, it is relatively easy to ensure your body comfort – by wearing the right clothes. Would have to say “no” to tight jeans, short jackets, tight underwear and a mass of similar things. Preference should be given to comfortable and loose enough clothes that do not overstretch the abdominal area.
The 9th week of pregnancy: questions and answers
By all indications, the 9th week of pregnancy is a very important period for the woman and her baby. Many expectant mothers due to hypersensitivity and some hypochondria tend to worry about every little thing that does not always make sense.
In order for such empty worries did not arise or was an order of magnitude less, it is worth to solve the most common issues. We are ready to answer some questions right now.
What does the baby look like at 9 weeks pregnant?
By this term, changes to the fetal body become more obvious, and the fetus becomes more and more similar to a normal human figure, though very small. There is no longer a fetal tail, the back becomes straighter, the fingers and limbs are almost fully formed. Although the head and arms are still held in a bent position on the chest.
What are the symptoms of being 9 weeks pregnant?
This period can be considered the peak of pregnancy symptoms (in most cases). Nausea and vomiting, heaviness in the stomach, constipation, sleepiness and rapid fatigue become almost constant companions of women in early pregnancy. However, symptoms may vary because every body is different.
How much does a fetus weigh at 9 weeks?
Depending on growth and developmental activity, the fetus (which is what a fetus is called from the eighth week) weighs about 2.5-4 grams – this is at the beginning of the week. By the end of this term, the weight will increase to plus or minus 10 grams
What should be the abdomen at 9 weeks of pregnancy?
The abdomen in the 9th week of pregnancy is usually not yet noticeable, but there are always exceptions. It is quite normal to have a barely noticeable roundness of the abdomen, which is typical for very fragile women.